Journey Series

Journey Series

Monday, May 12, 2014

What exactly constitute as research?

Just how important is research to a story? The answer to that question is not an easy one. It depends on the type of writing you are doing. It also depends on what you consider research. Is research simply looking up fact? For some the answer is yes. Then for writers like me, the answer is thankfully no.

To me, research can be learning a new skill in order to make a connection to the main character that I’m writing about. It could be simply going to visit a flower garden, so that I can get a better description of what a specific kind of flower. Or even how I felt while surrounded by the flower garden. This is the kind of research I don’t mind. This kind of research is what allows me as a writer makes the story come to life for the readers. If I can experience or picture it, then I can usually pull off making someone else connect in some way.

Now, I’m not one who likes to sit down and dig through loads of papers. If I get into this kind of research it has to be on something that interest me from the get go, if not I end up snoozing instead of getting research done.


So like with most things, what one consider research depends on the person. As to the importance of research all I can say is that it depends on the type of writing you do. Lucky for me with the style I do, it doesn’t entail loads of research. In fact most of my research that I do is usually related to the settings of the story. (Mainly on locations.)

Hope all has a great week,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment