Journey Series

Journey Series

Monday, December 15, 2014

Miss Interrupting Words

We all know that words and body language is how we tell what someone is truly saying. However, one person’s definition of a word might be different than yours. I’d like to say this doesn’t happen a lot, but I believe it does. (Way more than any of us realize. This may apply more to body language than words, but in my opinion the same applies.)

The world moves fast, therefore we zip around as well. So, when we listen we do so at the same rate our mind is going. That is where the problems can come from. When in a hurry you take the interruption that hits your mind quickest (Sometimes even forgetting to let the other person complete their thought.). Problem is you might hear a word used in your daily life, taking it at face value, but to someone outside your family, friends, or social classification, it means something right the opposite.

I never truly understood the phase ‘you misunderstood me’ until I started self-publishing. I just automatically assumed people used the same terminology I did. Found out fast they didn’t. Shouldn’t have surprised me, but it did. This revelation led me to see just how easily some of my teenage disagreements with my mom came about. She’d misunderstand what I was saying and I’d take her words the wrong way.  This is easy to do and way hard to correct. (I’m pretty sure there’s no true way to completely correct the issue.) What we can do is try to remember to stop and think of the words being said. Might take a couple more seconds, but it might prevent a major misunderstanding. Who knows, you might even learn more than expected from your conversation.

Everyone have a wonderful week and remember,

Let your imagination soar when your read or write.
Julia Matthews


No comments:

Post a Comment