Journey Series

Journey Series

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A to Z Blogging Challenge word fo the day - Tree of life

Over and over throughout the month I’ve found words related to today’s word. I’d skipped over them in hopes of finding one word that would allow me to include those other words (Words are located on the photo below). I managed it in a round about way when I stumbled across today’s word. I hope what little bit of information I give here would intrigue some of my readers to read more on this particular topic to find those others words that I’m sure tells way more detail on it than I could give in one post.

Today’s word is Tree of life.

In the Cabala, it means an arrangement of ten Sephiroth (photo below) and 22 paths. Tree of Life is a symbolic patter of modern Western occultism, used even by groups and traditions that claim no connection whatsoever to Cabala.

The relationship between the Sephiroth and the Paths remained open to debate for centuries, and still several different versions of the Tree are used at present date. Most differences are among the position and attributions of the Path.

Of course like anything that evolves and changes over a course of it’s life there are different interpretations. The same goes for this. The main difference was in the division of the Tree of Life.  One division had it divided by triangles, another had it divided in half, while another did so by four worlds of the Cabal and then there was the one that divided it into three pillars.  Then in the 19th and 20th century magical renaissance the Tree of Life was identified with a serpent Nehushtan, who resided in the upper astral, the realm of the purification.

I hope there was enough here to intrigue at least one of you to do search on the topic of the Cabal Tree of Life, or at least looked up the meaning of Kether, Binah, Chokmah, Daath, Geburah, Chesed, Hod, Natzach, Yesod, or Malkuth. I think you’d find the information on each interesting. I know I sure did as I was reading through The New Encyclopedia of the Occult.

Have a great day and remember all the information for this post was found in:
The New Encyclopedia of the Occult by John Michael Greer.
This particular word was found on pages 490-491

Have a great day and remember:
 Let Imagination Soar
Write and Read With Creativity

Julia Matthews

4 comments:

  1. I'd heard of trees being important, but never a tree like this :). All new information again, most interesting and informative, thank you.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
    FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard of the Tree of Life, but didn't know the details. Thanks.
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
    Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that image of the Tree of Life. I need to make more use of it in my books.

    --
    Timothy S. Brannan
    The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this Tree of Life's reference either. Really interesting, thanks!

    ReplyDelete